Hochschule Düsseldorf
University of Applied Sciences

The student ID card is an important document for all students enrolled at the University and you should keep it with you at all times. The ID card is at the same time your travel pass called "Semesterticket NRW", which is funded from your semester fee.

The travel pass entitles you to use all public transport services in the whole of Düsseldorf free of charge. It is also valid throughout North Rhine-Westphalia on local trains and public transport in all towns and cities. It cannot be used on long-distance trains (Intercity, Intercity Express) or night trains.

Within the area serviced by the VRR Regional Transport Authority (VRR - Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr), you can also take a second person with you on your travel pass free of charge on weekdays after 7:00 p.m. and all day at the weekend and on public holidays (children under six years of age always travel free). In addition, you can take your bicycle with you free of charge at times specified by the VRR. The travel pass is only valid in conjunction with valid photo ID or your passport.

In addition, your student ID card entitles you to certain concessions at cultural amenities such as museums, cinemas or theatres. Further information is available on the Student Un​ion's website (in German only).

​Important forms

Travel Pass Exemption - Application Form


A red-and-white tram is waiting at the tram stop Kittelbachstraße.
Tram line. Picture by Rheinbahn