Hochschule Düsseldorf
University of Applied Sciences


Non-EU nationals / nationals of third countries generally require a visa in order to study in Germany. To apply for a visa, you need your "Letter of Acceptance". We will send you this once we have received and accepted your application​. You must apply for a visa with this "Letter of Acceptance" at the relevant consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany in your home country prior to entering Germany.​

You should apply for a visa as soon as possible, as it can take some time until it is issued (often about 3 months). Certain nationals are exempt from the visa requirement. Please consult the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) of the Federal Republic of Germany to see whether you need a visa.

​Further information:

Federal Foreign​ Office (Auswärtiges Amt)

DAAD / Information for Foreigners

Semester contribution

​Every student at HSD has to pay the semester contribution which amounts to 323,08 Euro for the winter semester 2022/23. The semester contribution is made up as follows:

"Studierendenwerk": 88,00 Euro

Student Union: 15,00 Euro

Loan Association: 1,50 Euro

Daycare Facility for Children: 0,51 Euro

College Sports: 3,00 Euro​

Bikesharing: 1,50 Euro

"Social Euro": 0,51 Euro

VRR-Ticket: 154,56 Euro

NRW-Ticket: ​58,50 Euro

The largest amount is for the VRR and NRW Ticket. This allows you to use public transport anywhere in the Federal State of North Rhine Westphalia (NRW) with your student card free of charge! Besides, you can take a person with you for free within the VRR public transport area on weekdays after 7.00 p.m. and all day at the weekends.

Please note: The semester contribution is a solidarity payment and a compulsory prerequisite for enrollment!

You can either transfer the semester contribution in advance or pay by credit card at HSD during the orientation weeks. Paying cash is not possible any more!

Bank details:

Account holder: Hochschule Düsseldorf
Bank name: helaba (Landesbank Hessen/Thüringen)
IBAN: DE32 3005 0000 0004 0019 13


Please state  your full name and "Austausch" (exchange) as reason for transfer/reference.

Please add in your transfer the order:
"zu Lasten des Aufftraggebers" (free of charges for beneficiary)

Cost of living

The largest part of monthly expenses is for rent which usually accounts for one third of total living expenses. What do German students spend their money on?

​On average, German students have about 819 Euro at their disposal (source: 21. Sozialerhebung, 2016):

Rent: 232 Euro
Food: 168 Euro
Clothing: 42 Euro
Books and Equipment: 20 Euro
Car and/or PublicTransport: 94 Euro
Health Insurance, Doctor, Medication: 80 Euro
Communication (Telephone, Internet etc.): 31 Euro
Leisure, Culture, Sport: 61 Euro
Total: 819 Euro/Month

Not included here is the semester contribution which has to be paid on enrolment or re-registration (please see above). So, you will have more expenses than usual at the beginning of the semester. ​



Halls of residence (Studentenwerk Düsseldorf)

When you apply to HSD you can also apply for a place in the halls of residence which is allocated by the Studierendenwerk.

Since the residences are very much in demand, we cannot guarantee a room. Please apply within the stated deadlines. Otherwise, your chances of getting accommodation are reduced. You cannot apply to the Studierendenwerk on your own but should make the application via the International Office. Please also take into consideration that we have no influence on the type of allocation of the halls of residence. ​

Private accommodation/Sharing a flat 

In the case of not receiving a place in the halls of residence, you should start looking for a flat or a room in a shared flat as soon as possible. The handout on the right will help you with the flat hunting​. Furthermore, the International Office offers an online information session about finding accommodation in Düsseldorf before the semester starts.

Flat Hunting Guide.pdf

​​Health insurance

​To enrol at a german university, you must provide evidence of sufficient health insurance cover. This is required by law. You must bring this proof with you on the day of enrolment. Without health insurance you cannot enrol! If you fall seriously ill, you will incur considerable costs. Sufficient insurance cover is therefore very important.

There are two types of health insurance: Statutory and private:

Statutory health insurance (compulsory insurance) 

Some students are exempt from compulsory insurance in Germany. This is, however, only the case for students who have compulsory health insurance cover within a statutory or state insurance scheme in their home country.
The following forms/documents are required:

• All EU Member States as well as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein: EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) 
• Serbia, Montenegro: Ju 6 
• Bosnia-Herzegovina: BH6 
• Macedonia: RM/D 111 
• Turkey: T/A 11 
• Tunisia: TN/A 11 

If you do not have a EHIC or one of the forms listed above, you can take out health insurance cover for about € 110 per month from the statutory compulsory insurance scheme for students.

Students from non-European countries are exempt from compulsory health insurance, if they can verify that they have health insurance cover in their home country. This insurance must also be valid in Germany. It does, however, make sense to take out voluntary insurance in Germany, as reimbursement by foreign health insurers (e.g. American) can often take a very long time.

Private health insurance 

If you cannot be accepted in the statutory health insurance scheme for students (e.g. because you are over 30 years of age), you can take out private health insurance.  

Private health insurance can be taken out 

• in Germany and (as a rule) 
• in your home country (international health insurance). 

If you already have private health insurance cover in your home country, you must obtain a certificate (policy) in English or German from your insurers. The policy must state exactly what is covered, e.g.:

• Validity period 
• Geographical coverage  
• Financial limits of the insurance cover 

If your private health insurance does not cover Germany, you will have to take out additional cover with a German health insurer after your arrival in Düsseldorf. 

Note: Anyone with private health insurance pays all medical costs himself or herself first and then applies for reimbursement from the insurers. We recommend taking out statutory health insurance in Germany for about € 110 per month, if you come from outside Europe and do not have a EHIC. Our tutors will accompany you during the Orientation Weeks to a statutory health insurance organization where you can take out health insurance.