Hochschule Düsseldorf
University of Applied Sciences

​Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)​​

If you are staying in Germany for more than two months, you must register in the town or city where you are living. The authority responsible for this is the Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt).
All students must register with the Residents’ Registration Office or the relevant municipal authorities (Bürgerbüro) within two week of moving into their accommodation. The following documents are required for this:
  • Passport / ID card
  • ​Registration form 
You are obliged to inform the Residents' Registration Office or the municipal authorities immediately of any change of address and you should a​lso notify them when you finally leave Düsseldorf.​


Further information:

Registration of Residence (only in German)

Municipal authorities Düsseldorf (only in German)

​Residence permit

Students from non-EU countries must additionally apply to the Municipal Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) for a residence permit. This must be done immediately after arrival in Düsseldorf.

You require the following documents for a residence permit:

  • ​Valid national passport
  • A recent photograph (bi​ometric photograph)
  • Certificate of enrolment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) at HSD
  • Proof of financial means (evidence that you can finance your stay in Germany)
  • Proof of health insurance cover
  • Confirmation from your landlord (rent agreement)
  • Application form for the issue of a residence permit
  • Administration fee
During the orientation weeks we will inform you about the necessary steps to apply for a residence permit. 
Further information:

 Residence Permit (only in German)

​​​Opening a bank account

Opening a bank account at any (savings) bank in Germany is easy. A current account is normally free of charge for students. Setting up a bank account makes good sense. Many of the payments you will need to make, e.g. rent, health insurance etc. can be done by bank transfer.

To open a bank account you require:

  • ​Your ID card or passport
  • ​A permanent address in Germany
  • Your student ID card from HSD
The team of the International Office is happy to help you.


In order to enrol at HSD and receive a student card, you need to take the following steps:

  • pay the semester contribution (find more information here)​​
  • show proof of health insurance (find more information here​), and
  • apply for enrolment (we help you during the orienation weeks).