At a glance
For your enrolment at HSD you must provide proof of sufficient health insurance.
Please check below if you can be exempted from compulsory health insurance!
If you CANNOT be exempted from compulsory health insurance, you need to take out statutory health insurance in Germany.
Your health insurance must be checked by a statutory health insurance before your enrolment at HSD. We provide support with that before your arrival.
Health insurance is compulsory in Germany. As an exchange / free mover student you must provide proof of sufficient health insurance for your enrolment at HSD. This is required by German law!
Exemption from compulsory health insurance
Some students are exempt from compulsory insurance in Germany. Please check if this applies to you:
Required documents for exemption from compulsory health insurance
- All EU Member States as well as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein: EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)
- UK: GHIC
- Turkey: T/A 11
- Serbia, Montenegro: Ju 6
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: BH6
- Macedonia: RM/D 111
- Tunisia: TN/A 11
If you have one of the above listed documents, you must send it to a statutory health insurance provider before your enrolment at HSD. We provide support with that before your arrival.
You do NOT have an EHIC or one of the above listed documents? Then you must take out a sufficient health insurance for your stay in Germany!
Statutory Health Insurance
We advise students who cannot be exempted from compulsory health insurance to take out statutory health insurance in Germany.
Further information on statutory health insurance (costs, providers, insurance coverage)
- The student tariff for statutory health insurance is about 120 EUR per month.
- Statutory health insurance covers the cost of check-ups, treatment for illness or after an accident, and certain medications. General costs for hospital stays are also covered.
- You will get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which is valid in all EU member states.
- There is a wide choice of statutory health insurance providers with whom you can take out insurance. Please check the following list (only available in German!).
The statutory health insurance provider must confirm your insurance electronically before your enrolment at HSD. We provide support with that before your arrival.
Private Health Insurance
You cannot be exempted from compulsory health insurance but you prefer taking out a private health insurance? Please read the following important information first before taking out an insurance!
Important information on private health insurances
- A lot of private insurances do NOT meet the requirements for enrolment! Please get the insurance checked by a statutory health insurance BEFORE taking it out. Get in contact with us if you need help with that.
- If you take out a private health insurance you must pay the medical costs yourself first and then apply for reimbursement from the insurers. This can be very expensive. We therefore strongly recommend taking out statutory health insurance (if you cannot be exempted from compulsory health insurance).
Private health insurances must have been checked by a statutory health insurance provider before your enrolment at HSD. We provide support with that before your arrival.
Besides health insurance, it makes good sense to take out the following insurances for your stay in Germany:
Private Liability Insurance
It is not mandatory to take out private liability insurance ("private Haftpflichtversicherung"), but strongly recommended. According to German law, you are 100% liable for any damages you cause to others and their belongings. A liability insurance prevents you from any damage claims. It is best to take out a private liability insurance that also covers the loss of keys.
Private Travel Insurance
It makes good sense to take out a private travel insurance which covers the repatriation costs in case of illness, accident or death.