Hochschule Düsseldorf
University of Applied Sciences

​​​​​​In most cases international students need a national visa to enter Germany. Please inform yourself in due time, whether or not you need a visa, which type of visa you need and where you need to apply for it.

If you are required to have a visa for entering Germany and which type of visa is needed, depends on your nationality, the duration of your stay and the reason of your stay. 


1.1. Visa required:

  • Citizens from countries outside of the European Union are required to have a visa to enter Germany.
  • There are several exceptions to this rule, which are listed in the following paragraph.


1.2. No Visa required:

  • Citizens of the European Union as well as citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway can enter Germany without a visa. They just need to present a valid passport or ID.
  • Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, Switzerland and the USA can enter Germany without a visa for a stay of less than 90 days. For a stay of more than 90 days they are required to apply for a residence permit. Information on this can be found at "Upon arrival" - "Administrative aspects".
  • Citizens of Andorra, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino can enter Germany without a visa, as long as they do not intend to take up employment before or after studying. 
  • Citizens of Argentina, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela do not need a visa for less than 3 months.
​​Please also check the websites of the German Fore​ign Mi​nistry and the German missions in your country for up-to-date information and advice on visa issues for all countries!​​​
Further information on general legal regulations for entry and residency of international students in Germany can be found on the DAAD websites and in this document.


2. Visa types

There are different types of visa prospective students can apply for. You get a visa for a limited period of time depending on the purpose of residence in Germany:

  • Visa for orientation concerning studies at a German university ('Studienbewerbervisum')
  • Visa for participation in a German language course in order to prepare for university studies ('Sprachkursvisum zum Studienzwecke')
  • Visa for study purposes ('Studienvisum')

These three visa types can be converted into a residence permit in Germany at the local foreigners' authority (Ausländerbehörde).

Caution! The following visa types can NOT be converted into a residence permit in Germany:

  • Tourist visa
  • Visitor visa
  • Business visa
  • Language course visa without intent to study


3. Visa application

The relevant visa application must be done at the German authority in your home country or the country of your permanent residence.

After your arrival in Germany, you must report to the local foreigners' authority as soon as possible. Information on this can be found at "Upon arrival" - "Administrative aspects".

Uni assist will send you a confirmation, which states that your application was forwarded to Hochschule Düsseldorf. You can use this document for your visa application. It is accepted by most German embassies. HSD does not issue any conditional admission letter.


Further information on visa types: 

Student visa - Studienvisum
Language course visa - Sprachkursvisum
Orientation visa - Studienbewerbervisum